Provides specialized care for nephrology patients in accordance with established standards, policies, and scope of practice under physician direction.
- Responsible for assisting the physician with inpatient consultation work, outpatient clinic visits, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis visits. This position also includes travel to outreach clinics and satellite dialysis units.
- Works in collaboration with physicians and other health professionals.
- Utilizes professional skills in interviewing, assessment, evaluation, identification and implementation of interventions/treatment plans based on the specific needs of each patient.
- Serves as a clinical resource, utilizing critical thinking skills to act as an interdisciplinary consultant and patient advocate.
- Monitors the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions.
- Responsive to the age related needs of the patient with special attention given to education and safety.
- Responsible for the ordering of diagnostic procedures.
- Offers counseling and education to meet patient needs.
- Responsible for prescribing and dispensing prescription medication.
- Interacts professionally with patients, families, and staff.
- Other nursing duties as assigned.
- Pursues professional growth through educational opportunities, professional reading, and seeking learning opportunities.
- Assures cost and time efficiency of the department by maintaining maximum productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Promotes good interpersonal relationships through effective communication.
- Abides by the philosophy, mission, and objectives of Prairie Lakes Healthcare System and follows organization policies and procedures.
- Actively participates in Prairie Lakes Healthcare System programs based upon safety, continuous quality improvement, and infection control.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information pertaining to customers, patients, residents, employees, physicians, and their affairs.
- Demonstrates a positive image of Prairie Lakes Healthcare System by applying effective human relations skills with customers, patients, visitors, other employees, and physicians.