If you suffer from heartburn, acid reflux or similar symptoms, you may have a disease called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD happens when food and liquid from the stomach move back up into the esophagus, causing irritation. Prairie Lakes General Surgery is equipped to diagnose and manage your symptoms. Services include Bravo pH monitoring procedures, EGD, and Manometry.
How do I know if I should be checked?
GERD symptoms are very common in the U.S. In fact 40% are impacted by GERD. Many may feel like it's just heartburn and that taking antacids daily is simply a part of life. If you want to take control of your symptoms, consultations with Prairie Lakes General Surgeons are available. Our General Surgeons will discuss your options, including diagnostic testing to better manage your treatment.
Symptoms of GERD:
- Heartburn or burning in the chest
- Regurgitation (bringing food back up)
- Long term, daily use of antacids
- Chest pain
- Nausea after eating
- Sour taste in mouth
- Coughing, choking or wheezing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Belching or burping excessively
- Hoarseness or change in voice
- Sore throat
- Feeling that food is stuck behind the breastbone
Cool your symptoms. Call 605-884-5299 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gerrish, Dr. Kamlitz, or Dr. Schaeffer.
Available Diagnostic Testing
An endoscope is a tiny video camera mounted on the end of a long, flexible fiber-optic tube. Physicians can see inside your digestive system without cutting in order to diagnose a variety of conditions. Services include:
- Bravo pH monitoring procedures for gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD)
- Upper Endoscopy or EGD
- EGD is shorthand for Esophagogastroduodenoscopy. It’s an edoscope test to examine the lining of the esophagus (the tube that connects your throat to your stomach), the stomach, and first part of the small intestine.
- What is the doctor looking for? The EGD helps your doctor investigate the cause of symptoms such as heartburn, anemia, abdominal pain, swallowing problems, persistent nausea, black stools and digestion problems. In real time, the doctor can see and often treat the problems revealed during the EGD.
Our ManoScan™ ESO high-resolution manometry system is one of the most advanced solutions in aiding in the detection of disorders in the esophagus, like difficulty swallowing, regurgitation and heart burn. The manometry system can take high-resolution images during a short procedure time. This advantage allows for a more accurate diagnosis, leading to better treatment. Services are available with Dr. Gerrish, Dr. Kamlitz, and Dr. Schaeffer at Prairie Lakes General Surgery on an outpatient basis.