Prairie Lakes Healthcare System has a team of hospitalists who make sure that all aspects of your care during your stay are being addressed. Our hospitalists are medical doctors with advanced expertise in fields such as internal medicine and family practice. They work closely with the pharmacy staff, nurses, social workers and other medical professionals to create and complete a comprehensive plan of care for your stay at Prairie Lakes Hospital.
Our hospitalists don't replace your primary care doctor. In fact, they can partner with your doctor while you are in the hospital. The hospitalist will provide your doctor a detailed admission report and discharge summary. This allows your doctor to concentrate on the plan of treatment after you go home.
When you might see a hospitalist
- If emergency room doctors admit you as a patient, they will call a hospitalist to provide the inpatient care after you are transferred to your room.
- From the time you are admitted to the day you are discharged, the hospitalist will follow through and make sure all of your medical needs are being address.
- If a surgeon or specialist admits a patient, a hospitalist may oversee inpatient care after you are transferred to your room.
What to expect
- Each morning the hospitalist meets with the multi-disciplinary team to review your case and adjust your treatment plan accordingly.
- The hospitalist will visit you at your bedside each day, and will be available at any time. That face-to-face communication is an important part of your recovery.
- The hospitalist can expedite test results and, if needed, make changes to your treatment regardless of the time of day.
- If there's a question the hospitalist can't immediately answer, he knows where to find answers from key staff including medical and surgical specialists, case managers and other specially-trained care providers.
- If there's a patient crisis, the hospitalist can respond quickly.