This week Prairie Lakes/Sodexo Dietitians bring you a Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe that will warm you up during the cold, snowy days ahead.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup: 15g carbs, 130 calories, 14g protein. Serves 9.
To round out this meal add 8 oz of milk (12g carbs) and Gluten-Free Parmesan Biscuits (recipe below). Meal total: 34g carbs.
Ingredients: 2 teaspoons trans-fat free margarine | 1 medium onion, diced | 2 carrots, diced | 1 cup white muchrooms, diced | 44 ounces fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth | 1 cup water | .25 teaspoon thyme, dried | .25 teaspoon ground black pepper | .25 salt | 1 tablespoon corn starch | 1 tablespoon cold water | 1 cup wild rice | 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1) Melt the margarine in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms, and saute for 5 minutes.
2) Add the chicken broth, water, thyme, black pepper, and salt.
3) In a small cup, mix together the corn starch, and 1 tablespoon of cold water. Add the mixture to the soup.
4) Bring the soup to a boil and stir in the rice.
5) Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and stir well.
Gluten-Free Parmesan Biscuits: 7g carbs, 65 calories, 2g protein. Serves 12.
Ingredients: 1 cup gluten-free baking mix (such as Pamela's brand) | 3 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine | 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan | 1/3 cup skim milk
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together baking mix and margarine. Use a fork and hands to mix into course crumbs.
3) Add milk to mixture and stir with a fork. Add Parmesan cheese and fold into mixture.
4) Drop about 1 tablespoon of the dough mixture at a time on the baking sheet for each biscuit. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Visit next week for another delicious recipe! Find more recipes for healthy living by the American Diabetes Association.