Community Blood Bank, a joint cooperative of Sanford USD Medical Center and Avera McKennan Hospital, Sioux Falls, SD is diligently working to maintain an adequate blood supply for the 36 local hospitals it services, including Prairie Lakes Healthcare System. Join us to donate blood on Monday, April 11th from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., check-in is in the Prairie Lakes Specialty Clinic.
According to the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), “Blood centers across the country are experiencing a decrease in donation appointments and cancellation of blood drives due to travel restrictions and social distancing efforts. There is a potential to adversely impact the availability of blood as more blood drives may be canceled, fewer healthy donors will be available to sustain the blood supply. While we cannot predict blood supply needs during a pandemic, we know that a sufficient supply of blood must remain available to treat patients.” For additional information log onto www.cbblifeblood.org.
Guidelines to Donate:
- Blood donors must be at least 17 years old (16 years old with a signed parent consent form found at www.cbblifeblood.org) weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good general health.
- Donors exhibiting cold or flu symptoms are unable to donate.
- Valid identification is required at the time of registration.
- It is recommended that a person eat and drink plenty of fluid prior to donating blood.
- Online sign-up is preferred to help with social distancing
- Walk-ins will be accepted, if there is room or a cancellation – staff on event day will manage this process
- Masks are required only for those NOT vaccinated - all vaccinated donors do not have to wear a mask (*Masks are required during the check-in process in the Prairie Lakes Specialty Clinic)
- The donor will be asked to read the Covid-19 questions at the registration table