Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States and the number one cause of disability. Many people who suffer a stroke had no warning prior to it. Know your risk with a stroke screen.
Ultrasound stroke screenings are non-invasive studies of the carotid arteries, aorta and leg vessels to aid in the detection of potentially life-threatening conditions or pre-stroke symptoms. Four ultrasound screenings are available at Prairie Lakes Healthcare System:
- Carotid Artery: scans carotid arteries in the neck for plaque build-up, which can lead to stroke.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: scans for abdominal aneurysms most people don't know they have. Abdominal aneurysms can rupture and possibly be fatal.
- Peripheral Arterial: scans for plaque build-up in the legs that causes leg pain and is linked to coronary artery disease. The study checks the ankle brachial index blood pressure that could indicate a higher risk of peripheral arterial disease.
- Heart Rhythm: A test using EKG electrodes are placed on the chest to identify the presence of an abnormal rhythm.
Each of the scans takes less than 15 minutes to perform.
Consider the stroke screen if you have two or more of the following risk factors:
- Over age 40
- Family history of heart disease or stroke
- High cholesterol
- History of smoking
- High blood pressure
- High stress levels
- Sedentary lifestyle
Both Men and Women 40-75 years of age are eligible for stroke screen. Cost is just $45, no physician's order is needed. You can make the appointment at your convenience by calling 882-7690. Anyone under 40 years of age must have a physician order to participate.