- Family history of heart disease or stroke
- High cholesterol
- History of smoking
- High blood pressure
- High stress levels
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Postmenopausal female
Target Heart and Stroke Screen are intended for ages 40 - 60. These elective screenings are completed at Prairie Lakes Healthcare System and are available for only $45 each ($400 value). Gift certificates are available for purchase in Radiology. For more information please call 605-882-7770.
The Stroke Screen package includes the following scans and tests:
- Carotid Artery: scans carotid arteries in the neck for plaque build-up, which can lead to stroke.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: scans for abdominal aneurysms most people don't know they have. Abdominal aneurysms can rupture and possibly be fatal.
- Peripheral Arterial: scans for plaque build-up in the legs that causes leg pain and is linked to coronary artery disease. The study checks the ankle brachial index blood pressure that could indicate a higher risk of peripheral arterial disease.
- Heart Rhythm: A test using EKG electrodes are placed on the chest to identify the presence of an abnormal rhythm.
The Target Heart package includes the following scans and tests:
- Cardiac Scoring Screening: this is a non-invasive, painless screening performed by certified radiology technologists on the state's first 16-slice CT scanner. The study is read by board-certified radiologists and is sent to your physician. This screening helps identify calcium deposits in the arteries that may lead to a heart attack.
- Lipid Panel: a blood test that is collected and processed by credentialed laboratory professionals. The profile helps detect inflammation that may be associated with increased risk for heart attack and/or stroke in people with elevated cholesterol levels. Tests included in the profile are cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglyceride, highly sensitive CRP, and a homocysteine. An overnight fast is required for this profile.
- Blood Pressure Reading: elevated blood pressure increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Blood Glucose Test: measures the amount of a type of sugar (called glucose) in your blood to determine if your blood glucose level in within healthy ranges.