While food choices are important, there's increasing evidence that many of us are also drinking our way to health problems. Often times sugary drinks such as Gatorade, juice, regular soda, sweetened tea, specialty coffee drinks, and energy drinks are consumed in larger amounts than water resulting in weight gain from empty calories. When drinking juice, choose ones that are 100% fruit juice while limiting to 4-6 ounces a day. Incorporate milk into your diet while drinking water as your main source of hydration. Drinking adequate amounts of fluids helps your body function properly.
If you want to get creative with your drinks, consider infusion water with vegetables, fruit or herbs - it is equally delicious as it is healthy! You could use a specially made infusion water bottle or add the ingredients right to your glass or pitcher.
Ingredient ideas you could use to infusion water alone or in-combination with each other:
- Fruits: lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, strawberry, blueberry, black berry, apple
- Vegetables: Cucumber, jalapeno,
- Herbs and spices: mint, basil, ginger, cinnamon
Creative water infusion recipes:
The recipes are for pitchers that hold about 48 ounces, but feel free to add as much or as little of the ingredient as you’d like.
- Strawberry mint water: 6 – 8 sliced strawberries, small handful of mint leaves (torn or scrunched), water, ice
- Watermelon basil water: 2 slices of watermelon (cut into thirds or quarters), Small handful of basil (torn or scrunched), water, ice
- Strawberry lemon water: 4-6 strawberries (hulled and quartered), 1/2 lemon (sliced), Small handful of basil (torn or scrunched), water, ice
- Mojito Water: 1 lime, small handful of mint leaves (torn or scrunched), water, ice